Whenever my family isn't feeling well and I don't have time to make homemade chicken noodle soup, this is my go to soup. It is quick and easy and so delicious!
Italian Red Lentil Soup
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled & finely chopped (I prefer to use a garlic press)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed & drained
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons small pasta shapes (for gluten free use quinoa or white basmati rice)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
In a large sauce pot, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil over high heat until the onion becomes translucent. Pour in the water, cover and bring to a boil. Stir in the carrots, lentils, and salt and simmer partially covered over moderate heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the pasta and continue to cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes until creamy. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley until well combined.
My guys add hot sauce for a little kick.